Monday, September 30, 2013

Running Scared!


Even though Lori and I haven’t run a race in a while I thought I’d do a recap of one that we both found to be a ton of fun! Running scared was a 5k that we ran on June 22nd. The race wasn’t a regular 5k we not only had to run the 5k but we had to avoid ZOMBIES!!!

We started our day out with the most amazing race fuel you can get in Iowa TASTY TACOS!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m guessing most of our readers outside of Iowa have yet to have a chance to have Tasty Tacos but take my word for it they are amazing! Truthfully, I ate one too many tacos, need to learn to pace myself before we head to a race.

After eating we headed towards the golf course where the race was being held. Since we arrived super early Lori and I decided to play a round of mini golf to kill some of the extra time. When you start sweating while playing mini golf you know the run is going to a bit rough!

In this race we were given two flags that represented our health. Along the course there were zombies randomly placed that were out to ‘kill’ us (removing our flags).  We started off with the other 200ish runners and after finding our 'corral' we were off! Making our way into the woods after the second corner we ran into our first horde of zombies!

So, this is the one thing I didn’t actually like about this race. Most of the race was held on a 4 foot wide path through the woods, which was nice except when you ran into the zombies you had nowhere to run. So, we would run into 4-10 zombies and without fail you would lose at least one flag every single time, because it was less running from zombies and more trying/praying there was enough other people running by with you that the zombies were distracted.


About half way through the race Lori and I were both the running dead. Luckily we found some antidotes a little further down the trail and were back to our healthy running selves. We continued towards the finish with only a handful of zombies left in our path.

This fellow picked Lori out of a large group and killed her, even after she fell on the ground! Zombies have no mercy.
Finally sprinting past the final zombies we came to the finish and eagerly awaited our survivor shirts because we both finished with one of our flags intact! Reaching the shirts table we handed in our flags and they passed us both our “Rundead” shirts which indicated we hadn’t survived. Confused I asked why we didn’t receive survivor shirts the person replied only people with two flags received those. I found this slightly disheartening because it wasn’t explained to us at the beginning this is how it worked.

We quickly got over not surviving, and moved on to grab our free beer after the race! That’s an appropriate recovery drink right? Overall we had a blast and look forward to doing it again next year! 
Our medals!

P.S. We just signed up for Grandma's full marathon in Duluth, MN! Looking forward to it in that I'm scared/excited kind of way.

Question of the day: What's your favorite race and why?

4 comments:

  1. There seems to be beer involved whether running or recuperating! :D I can't answer the question of the day, as I have never run a race, but I can get back to you on it someday! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The color run is my favorite so far!!! So much positive energy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color run was fun because it was with family :) The dump run felt good, because it was beyond anything I'd done so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also wonder how far off you can be with the security code after these posts and still be considered human?

    ReplyDelete