Friday, September 27, 2013

Running Changed My Mind About Fall

Zombie Run 5k (90 degrees & humid)
Hi all!  Lori speaking today.  It is early morning; I am sipping my coffee while Logan is on his way to work.    It is still warm here, more like summer than winter, but some days I get a little taste of fall in the air.  For the first time in my life, I am excited about fall.

I have never liked fall, but not because I have a problem with fall itself.  I always hated that it was a sign that winter is coming (Game of Thrones, anyone?).  This year I find myself looking forward to fall for the first time and I believe it is 100% because we are running.

Prior to running, I was perfectly content to be outside in 85 degree heat with humidity.  I liked feeling like I was wrapped in a warm blanket whenever I was outside.  Surprisingly, however, running when you feel like you are wrapped in being smothered by a warm blanket is less pleasant.  We spent the summer running in the heat and humidity.  We planned our running routes to avoid the sun. We carried a hydro-pack full of water and a water bottle with a dissolved electrolyte tab.  We learned that I can't breathe in the humidity and I will complain loud enough for the whole world to know.  We would come back to our apartment and hang out on the kitchen floor because it was the coldest place in the house - and it was easy to clean up the sweat puddles we left behind there.

Glow Run 5k (cool weather)
That is all about to change because the temperature is slowly dropping.  Pretty soon we will run outside feeling amazing because we can breathe again!  The sun beating down on us won't feel quite so relentless.  I will be able to dig out my comfy running capris and the cooler-weather gear I haven't seen in months.  I am excited to run down a path by our house that is full of trees that will soon be changing colors.  We will be out of our half-marathon training soon and into a more laid-back "I will stop whenever I feel like stopping" approach to running again.  And it will all be glorious.

Just don't remind me that winter is coming.

Question of the day:
What do you love about fall?

3 comments:

  1. Lori,
    This is my first blog post that I have read from you guys and I love it! I am glad that you guys are running together and having a blast :) Hope school is going well

    What I love about fall is pumpkin flavored everything (beer, treats, candy, coffee)

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the changing colors of the leaves and being out in the yard raking up the leaves while the dog's run through your pile!! Always puts a smile on my face!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors, the smells, and the "reminisce" of fall. Always has been a time of reflection for me! I will be enjoying this on the running trail this year as well! :)

    ReplyDelete