Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Logan on Being Injured




So, I contemplated even sharing this on here or not, but I believe I should share the good, the bad and the ugly of running.

This past week I have had some really awesome highs and some pretty bummer lows. I ran on last Sunday by myself because unfortunately my lovely wife was sick. So, I geared up and went out into the big scary world alone.

After a brief warm up walk and making sure my watch had gps signal I took off on my first nine mile run! Had a great run, listened to my new favorite podcast (thank you Lori for finding it for us) and rocked out all nine miles at a 9:30/min pace. The weather had finally just started turning into fall and temperatures were finally no longer in the 90's.

A little bit that night I felt a small twinge in my foot but nothing out of the ordinary.You learn the more you run, you will always have something that feels weird or off. It is just the normal aches and pains of working out. You learn to friend these pains, it is a reminder of what you did, of what you accomplished, so you wear them as battle scars triumphant after your victory. The next day they subsided and I was back to feeling like my normal self.

On Tuesday last week, I ran with my co-workers on our lunch break. In the future I'm sure I will give a full blog post on what it is like to run with them, for now all you need to know is that they are amazingly fit and fast runners. Again this was a beautiful day for running mid 60's and a slight breeze. We took off fast out of the gate and never slowed down. We ran 5 miles at 8:20/min pace. I've never ran this fast for that long in my entire life.

Unfortunately at around the four and a half mile mark I felt a twinge in my foot. I was so close to the end and so happy with my run I didn't want to ruin it by slowing down or stopping then so I finished it out. By the end of the run I could feel a decent sting on the top of my foot. From reading multiple articles and blogs I had a very real fear that I may have given myself a stress fracture.

For the past 7 days I have been self diagnosing and worrying about my foot but I can now walk normally without pain and can only slightly feel it when I try to jog. Here is to hoping it isn't a stress fracture and I will be back to running soon!

It has been very hard to not be able to go for a run this week. I've had a few bouts of what I can only imagine is depression. I was talking to Lori saying its like my brain is a little man trudging uphill in mud up to his waist. I've found myself longing for the hypnotic plodding noise as your feet hit the pavement. I will continue to rest until I feel like my foot is fully healed and I can run without creating further injury.

This is my life right now. Replacing running with beer is a good substitute right???

Question of the day: Have you ever been injured? How so?

13 comments:

  1. Beer is a good "running partner" for now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree :P Hoping tomorrow to hit up bike or elliptical and friday some swimming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah! eBlogger doesn't like ampersands I should probably change that up! haha

      Delete
    2. There is also a typo in the description of our blog at the top. I can't change it because I have limited blog control. Google knows I cannot be trusted with full blogger power. ;)

      Delete
  3. Its easy to keep your chin up if your drinking beer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have twisted both of my ankles! One in volleyball and one playing trench! No fun, now they do funny things sometimes, but it's never too bad! I should get a gym membership here so I can run when it gets cold! Love you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too!!! Have you ran outside at Stout yet?

      Delete
  5. I have torn ligaments and such in my ankle from twisting it during a run. Note to self, do not try and jog with your dog if they are on a leash and a lot faster than you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah dogs are great for getting you outside as long as they don't injure you in the process!!!

      Delete
    2. I would have been fine had a squirrel not come a long!! Squirrels are deadly!!

      Delete